In a previous post I discussed my overall approach to personal information stored on websites. That post spent a lot of time discussing personal details such as my name address and credit card information. First and foremost any website you deal with nowadays requires an email address.

In the past I had generic email addresses for specific topics. I had traveling at, shopping at, web services at, etc. I have been doing that for almost 18 years now. The value that gave me was if I received a message from for example my domain registrar to an email address I use for traveling I would know it’s a fake address. You’d be surprised how often that would happen.

For two or three years I have been creating disposable email addresses that I rotate every quarter. Those were for websites that required an email address but I never really plan on using it again. The challenge there was if I used one of these disposable addresses and then change my mind and wanted to keep using the site I would have to go and make a change to my settings update the address on file. This method worked most of the time.

For years I had the challenge where one website would sell my details and then I would get spanned so my entire shopping email address would be tainted by one vendor. That scenario was a nuisance however I never really addressed it. Recently when I started doing a threat model regarding my entire online presence I decided that I needed to change my approach in regards to email addresses. Instead of having generic grouped addresses and some disposable group that addresses I needed to have more unique dresses per site. That meant new websites needed a unique address that I continue to use or delete as needed. Sites that I already had I needed to go back and create dedicated email addresses for.

With the mail system I’m using the process was very manual. I did go into the admin tool and create each alias I wanted. Then I had to go to each website and update the address on file and document the change in my password management application. The solution is pretty comprehensive for my needs however going back and applying it to all of the sites I currently use is taking time. It is not something I’m doing in mass. Anytime I go to a site and it’s using an old address I’m making the change. This approach is slow however I don’t want to  block off large amounts of time to complete this all at once.

Leave a Reply