This is a general history/timeline of my blogging experience. A lot of it was pieced together from posts from my blog. I may be missing some aspects to the evolution of this site however this is the basic history.
- 2003, March: I started a Blog. It was on Bloggar of all places to start. It was quick to stand up and free. I was young.
- 2003, April: I didn’t waste much time standing up my own Red Hat server and moving the blog to Moveable Type. I started using the URL
- 2003, July: I Migrated my blog over to my boss at the time and good friend Gus’ server. He had it running for a while longer than I did and I was having issues with my own one at home.
- 2004, September I moved my site to Typepad. Hosting stuff with friends or by yourself is fin and free however easy managed hosting for a little bit of money is always nice too. Up until this point I used blog.scott.ac as the blog URL. Due to limitations with Typepad at the time I switched the URL to www.scott.ac
- 2005, January I used to blog openly about work. I was young the internet and blogging was new. Who knew. My employer asked kindly to take down the work posts. Since i was in a lead operations position at the time I also wrote up the policy to prevent anyone else from doing what I was doing at the time.
- 2005, April: I renamed this site Powerpedia. I liked the name and it was a play on the Scott Powerz persona I used for online stuff. I bought Powerpedia.net and pointed my blog to www.powerpedia.net.
- 2008, June: I changed the URL of the blog to blog.powerz.org.I kept the Powerpedia title. I wrote about why I changed the name here
- 2009, January: After a while playing with it I finally migrated from Moveable Type to WordPress.
- 2009, August I moved back to Typepad however I loose track of what i did after this. I know i moved to wordpress.org sometime between 2009 and 2012.
- 2012, September: I switched from wordpress.com managed service to a web hosting install of wordpress.
- 2014, October: I switched my URL of my site back to blog.scott.ac. I was long gone from using Typepad so the limitation wasn’t there and I came full circle back to using my scott.ac domain. I had no good name for the blog so I simply referred to it as Blog @ Scott.ac
- 2017, November: I changed the title of the blog to A Scott Odyssey to better reflect the theme and motivations for my writing.
- 2018, July: I changed the URL from blog.scott.ac to www.scottodyssey.com I wanted the domain name to better reflect the title of the site. I also realized after starting to pay attention to these things that using a country specific URL was hurting my ability to get page views. Let’s hope this is the last time I change the name. Knowing me and after writing this history page I cannot and should not ever promise that. At the same time of the name change I moved the site from its previous home at Hostpoint.ch to SiteGround.com. They were simply cheaper by a lot.